miércoles, 3 de diciembre de 2008

The Palmer Raids


I.W.W. Headquarters after a Palmer Raid, 1919
--The Palmer Raids were a response to the nation's fear of communism, also known as "Red Scare"--A. Mitchell Palmer, attorney general, believed radicals were undermining American values and sent government agents to search and raid suspected radicals--Suspects were jailed for extended periods of time and weren't allowed to see attorneys, and those who visited were also arrested--In the end, the raids came up with little to no proof of what they assumed to be revolutionary conspiracy.
- Jaclyn
The Palmer RaidsJ. Edgar Hoover appointed head of new antiradical division of the Justice DepartmentPalmer sent government agents to track suspected communists, socialists, and anarchistsSuspects were jailed for weeks at a timeMany were deported without fair trialsThe raids failed to show evidence of revolution conspiracyPalmer said Communists would take over on May 1, 1920 (May Day)Nothing happened that dayPeople began to believe that Palmer didn’t know what he was talking about.
-Brandon
-Raids were conducted by the United States Department of Justice and Immigration and Naturalization service.-Government agents were sent by Attorney General A. Mitchell Palmer.-Agents were sent to hunt down suspected radicals in the U.S. and search for weapons, explosives, and plans to harm the government.-Some of the groups targeted were suspected communists, socialists, and anarchists.-Private homes and offices were raided without warrants, and people were jailed for long periods of time without being allowed to see a lawyer.-Hundreds of immigrants were deported on suspicion of being radicals without a trial.-The raids turned up any evidence. -Palmer then claimed that there was a communist plot to overthrow the government on an international workers holiday, when nothing happened Palmer lost most of his credibility
- Claire

10 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Brandon, it was good and full of information, but i also feel it would have been important to add why they were raiding communists

-Jackie

Anónimo dijo...

Claire and Jackie both explained the Palmer Raids very well. They both put in all the information that was given. :)

-Brandon

Anónimo dijo...

Brandon, It was nice to have a lot of facts but I don't think they were all relavant to understanding what the raids were. I agree with Jackie that the reason for the raids would be a good addition.
-Emily

Anónimo dijo...

I feel like the red scare should have been mentioned in the last two. -Colleen

Anónimo dijo...

Both Jackie and Brandon gave really good descriptions of the raids. Jackie laid out all the information and Brandon explained some of the results. i agree with colleen that Brandon and i should have mentioned the red scare.

-Claire

Anónimo dijo...

Together Claire and Brandon had a good summarization, but I agree the mentioning of the Red Scare would have been a good idea.

Anónimo dijo...

I also agree that it would have been better if the Red Scare was mentioned
~Rebecca

Anónimo dijo...

Brandon I think that you should have put more about the actual raids
~Wayne

Alex Hartel dijo...

jackieeeeeeeeeeeeeee
you should talk more about why the PaLmer Raids were happening and not just the reaction to them

Anónimo dijo...

I like how Jackie added that there was no proof. I did not know that!!!
-Jennifer